Gardens and outside space really came into their own during lockdown, offering a safe space to get some fresh air and (when rules permitted) to see friends and family. But when winter is fast approaching how do you keep your outside space warm?
With lockdown and Covid-19 looking set to continue on for some time it is increasingly important to socialise outside.
It can get really cold over autumn and winter but with the right equipment you can keep everyone warm and entertained so why not organise a night of star-gazing, hold a winter barbeque or bundle the kids in blankets and gather round a brazier to sip hot chocolate, toast marshmallows and share your best ghost stories?
You should also check out
|Need to know guide: patio heaters||Brighten your garden on a budget||Garden fun for kids from £20|
Read on to discover tips and tricks to keep your garden, yard or balcony warm and your guests cosy during the colder months:
One of the cheapest and easiest ways to stay cosy in the garden is to wrap up in blankets! Lie them over your lap, wrap them around your shoulders or cuddle underneath one with your loved ones!
Depending on the circumstances I have different blankets for different occasions. For example if the kids want to lie on the grass and watch the stars them I bundle them up in cheap and easily washable fleece blankets. These Teddy Bear fleeces from Dunelm are perfect and range from £8 for a small one up to £18 for a large one:
If however I have friends coming over then I like to be able to offer a stack of stylish and soft blankets for them to throw over their knees. These super stylish wool throws by Marquis & Dawe fit the bill (I especially love the autumn colours of the bright orange blanket):
2. Patio Heaters
I first discovered the joy of patio heaters when sitting outside at a pub. These gas-powered heaters are surprisingly powerful and can keep a group of people toasty while sitting outside. Thankfully now you can buy them for your own garden, ensuring you can still sit out even when the temperature drops.
Patio heaters are relatively large and powerful so they are most suited to larger gatherings in decent sized gardens.
The ‘pyramid patio heaters’ you may hear mentioned refer to the look and shape of certain styles of heaters. They look a little more aesthetically pleasing than the more classic designs (which can, frankly, be a bit ugly) and can lend drama and style to your garden too.
If your garden is a bit smaller or you prefer to make the heat-source more of a focus then a brazier might be more your style.
These cast-iron fire pits can be filled with dried logs, wood briquettes, charcoal or smoke-free fuels and make a really nice focal point as well as providing warmth. As a bonus many braziers can double up as a grill so you can host a winter barbeque or toast some marshmallows too.
This small brazier from Not on the High Street is great value (at around £45) and is perfect if space is at a premium:
If you want to make more of a statement with your brazier then this hand-finished steel fire pit makes a great feature, with a price-tag north of £200 to match:
For those wanting to cook on their brazier this hexagonal fire pit barbeque is ideal. It can hold a large amount of coal or logs ensuring it burns for longer keeping your guests warm and cooking food at the same time!
Chimineas are another good option to provide warmth on the patio. Unlike braziers the flames are more enclosed making them a safer option for those with pets or young children.
For a smaller garden, balcony or yard this small chiminea looks stylish and provides a good level of warmth – all for under £70. Plus its small size makes it super portable and easy to position near your guests:
This tall steel chiminea is great for those with a bit more space – and at £139 is still a bargain. It features an built-in log store so you don’t have to venture far to throw another log on the fire!
If you want to cook outside too then this classic terracotta clay chiminea (around £114 at time of writing) features two parts – the top of the chimney can be lifted off and a grill fitted over the flames so you can cook your burgers.
Once you’ve finished eating you can place the chimney section back on and enjoy the radiating warmth:
5. Cosy seating
In the summer you might want to lie out in the sunshine on a sun lounger or perch on a cool and airy wooden chair in the heat but in the winter a different type of outdoor seating is called for. Get next-level cosy on a padded outdoor sofa.
This stylish wooden seating set (available for under £300 at time of writing) comes with a sofa, two chairs and a coffee table. The thick, washable cushions add extra comfort and warmth for those chilly winter evenings.
If you don’t like the faff of treating wooden furniture then this luxury plastic seating set could be for you.
It comes with sofa and two chairs plus a coffee table which handily opens so you can stash the cushions inside when you are not using them. All available for under £300 from B&Q:
For those who already have some existing garden seating then a good idea to make it more comfy and cosy for the winter is to add some extra cushions. These lovely vintage-style cushions are made from 100% sustainable cotton:
6. Luscious Lighting
If you’re going to sit out in your garden over the winter then you’re going to need some decent lighting to prevent you squinting into the gloom!
Solar-powered lights are a great idea as they do not need a power source and most come on automatically when it begins to get dark. They come in all shapes and sizes from wall-mounted lights to strings of pretty fairy lights:
Lanterns can add a bit more atmosphere to create a softer, more targeted lighting. This great battery-powered rechargeable lantern has the added bonus of acting as a Bluetooth speaker so you can play some tunes outside too:
- 🔥🎵【LED Flame Lamp】Ksera Led Flame Atmosphere Speaker Lamp, using 60 high performance LED beads, the flicker effect of flame in wind is simulated, realistic and natural. Each LED was flashing a warm yellow colour. To create a romantic night flame atmosphere for you. It can also be used as a Christmas decoration.
- 🔥🎵【Bluetooth 4.2 Version】This Wireless Bluetooth Flicker Flame Speaker uses the latest 4.2 version bluetooth chip, dual mode, letting you can enjoying music without restraint. Compatible with all bluetooth compatible devices: IOS, Android, and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. The flame speaker will be automatically connected to the last device used.
- 🔥🎵【Long Battery Life】With built-in 3600 mA USB rechargeable lithium battery, fully charge only takes 7 hours. After full charged, it can work about 13 hours if the speaker and the lamp works at the same time. It can work about 60 hours if the lamp works only. Enjoy your time without recharging many times. Perfect for a party night.
- 🔥🎵【HD Audio & IP65 Waterproof】Built-in 5W audio driver offers you a high-definition stereo sound. It also has a strong bass effect that can bring you clear and real sound and creates a romantic and cheerful atmosphere. The IP65 waterproof makes it perfect to be used both indoor and outdoor, withstands rain, wind, hail, snow and heat. An ideal gift for your friends, lover or family.
- 🔥🎵【Premium GIFT&LIFETIME GUARANTE】We're confident you'll love with Flame Speaker. A premium gift for birthday, Christmas, and Mother's Day and Father's Day.If you have any quality issues or any questions, please feel free to contact us at the first time. We will give you a satisfactory reply within 24 hours.
If you want something a bit more permanent then it is probably worth getting some permanent wall-mounted lights fitted.
These sorts of lights are best for those who want to illuminate a whole patio or decking area and add some colour too (if you prefer):
- 【SUN POWER SUPPLY】 Adopted polycrystalline silicon solar panel, this solar LED light can provide higher power efficiency, the energy conversion rate can be up to 17%. Full charge in 6 hours under sun,it can keep lighting for all night long.The Solar LED is light-sensitive.The solar light will turn on automatically at night.
- 【2 MODES】 The Deck Light has 2 modes-Cold White/Color Changing. Mode1-Deck Led keep white. Mode2-Deck Led changing in 7 different colors. Mode 2 is fit for festival decoration.You can push the botton to change mode.
- 【EASY TO INSTALL】 These Deck Lights are wireless. You don't need to worry about the wire problem.The Deck Light is simply to install/reinstall on the wall,fence,furniture,Lights Deck, fence wall pathway,gardens porch, wall, stairs, front and backyards,landscape,balcony,stairways,patio,driveways or any outdoor area that needs lighting.
- 【WEATHER RESISTANT】 These Solar Wall Lights are made of high quality ABS material. Weatherproof and durable make these solar lights running well at different weather conditions. Solar lights have a perfet design to avoid stagnant water.
- 【CUSTOMER SERVICE & WARRANTY】 FLOWood provide quality after-sales customer service for deck lights. 60 days money-back and 12 months worry-free guarantee. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Last update on 2021-06-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API